Met with Kevin and Sarah (though it looks like her blog is officially dead — so much for eating our own dogfood) today on the Schoolof.info blogserver. Because I didn’t know where WordPress Multi User was last summer, I put together a system that autoinstalled WordPress blogs for students. (Shout out to the ETC for supporting this effort.) Turns out WMU largely duplicates my effort, and I am tempted to switch over (and benefit from code written by real programmers instead of my bricoleuresque approach), but I know my system, and I like it, and I think I’ll stick with it for now. Just need to get it — and this blog — to version 1.5 of the WP software.
One of the reasons I like my setup is that I can tweak the plugins relatively effortlessly, and students get a more featureful blog as a result. We talked a little bit about the core plug-ins we want to have in the default blogs, and Kevin blogged some options. I think that a basic set of requirements for student blogs includes: spell check, easy format tools (ideally WYSIWYG), and easy image upload.